Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Edelstein-Stadt-komische Vereinbarung war eine Böe!!

or... Gem City Comic Convention was a Blast!! Yahoo! Babel Fish is such an awesome site: http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_txt . Anyway, back to why I'm making this post: my experience at Gem City Comic Con. My loving wife was kind enough to come along with me and my awesome In-Laws were gracious enough to watch our kids for us this last weekend. The show was located just outside of Dayton, Ohio on the campus of Wright State University, which was a beautiful campus by the way. The show was awesome. That pretty much sums it up, but that would be like you paying to see the movie Star Wars and only seeing the little blip of the photon torpedoes going down the hole and the Death Star exploding. You would feel cheated and I'm not going to do that to you. I got to sit in a room with a group of hopeful artists and writers. No. That's wrong. They weren't hopeful. They WERE artists and writers and so am I. I digress. I got to meet and talk to some of these wonderfully talented and creative people and the amazing thing is they were all nice. No one selfishly hid their secrets. Everyone shared them with me and I am very grateful for that. Megan and I got to sit back to back with with Scott and Benita Story, the creators of Johnny Saturn. Megan was terrified that my banner was going to fall over on them at some point. They're Con veterans. If you ever get a chance, check out their website: http://johnnysaturn.com/. Great stuff, both of them are writers and Scott's art is fantastic. I got to get a couple up close looks at his pages and there is some amazing detail in there. Another artist/writer that was very helpful and came over to talk to me was Eric Adams. He also had some great tips. But the best part were the fans, the walkers, the customers, etc. It was fun talking to them, watching their faces as they looked over my work and listened to my ramblings as I tried to explain my creations. There was a man who bought both of my book, because he loved indie work. There were quite a few people who bought a certain print from me because, most of them said, "This is exactly how I feel!" There was a couple who noticed my original fan art drawing from Kukuburi (Phenomenal web comic by Ramon Perez, if you ask me) and she was giddy that they were able to purchase it. There was a creator by the name of Matt, and I forget his last name at the moment, who brought in his work for me to look and critique. There was a gentleman by the name of Avery, who talked to me for at least a half an hour. Told me he had once inked for one of the big two and what a beast the industry could be. I didn't make a ton of cash. More than I thought I might. But I made up for it in experience. It was quite a ride and I am definitely getting back in line. Nick M. P.S. I'll put up some pictures from the con as well as my first Con Drawing.

1 comment:

  1. Hopefully, I can figure out how to format this correctly so it's not just one big run on paragraph.

    ReplyDelete